Friday, December 9, 2011

Surgeon, Internist and Psych Consults

So I had my consultations today. Thank god Jason and Susan took me. I really needed the emotional support. I mean, I was excited too, but my nerves were on high. Susan had to go find somewhere to park so Jason was the one to come in with me. First was Dr. Tanaka. He was kind of gruff, but I think he loosened up a little bit at the end. But basically he wants me to lose 50 lbs before surgery. I forgot to ask how long I had to lose the weight, but I'm going to try to get it down as fast as I can. I want that surgery as soon as possible. Anyway, he told me about vitamins I need to take and that I need to exercise. What iworries me is he wants me to do some weight training. Not sure what that means. I guess I'll have to ask.

Anyway, after that was this Internist - Dr. Kohler. He did an EKG and looked me over. He gave me the thumbs up. Then I had to see the psychiatrist, only they told me noon at a different location. So we went to see my lawyer to find out the status of my case. I have to call them every few weeks. I guess the case has gone to a judge, but they don't know what judge until they get a hearing date.

After we did that I get a call from Dr. Tanaka's office. They tell me I had a psych appointment THERE. I was like, huh? Anyway, since they could see me now we rushed back and I saw the psych consult. She was very nice. We talked a bit and I explained that I'm looking at the surgery the way I look at my bipolar medication. I look at it as Diabetes. Life long. Just how it is. I asked her if she thought I was a good candidate and she said yes, so that wasa good to hear. So basically the only thing holding me back from surgery is a measily 50 lbs. I heard from a woman in my gastric bypass group on Cafemom who had to lose 100 lbs. So if she could do it, then I can!

Come Monday I change my eating. I am trying not to use the word diet because it has bad conotations for me so I'm changing what I eat and how I eat. I'll be using protein shakes for two meals. He said one or two, but I don't eat much in the morning. I just need a lot of protein. No bread, tortillas, crackers. No sugar or caffeine. Drink at least 63 oz of water daily which is NOT a problem for me. Oh and NO SODA! That's not a big deal. I will miss my Diet Dr. Pepper a little bit though. LOL!

Tonight my mom took us to China Super Buffet which was awesome. The funny thing is, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Go figure. But it was good! I did enjoy it. I'm going to miss cream cheese wantons! But I'll survive.

Since getting home all I've done is watch "Criminal Minds" and play on Cafemom. I love my new PJs which I am wearing again. :-) And I am looking forward to tomorrow. It's FINALLY OUR Thanksgiving. Jason, Susan, Cassie, me, Jordan hopefully and such. And it's the last time I can really enjoy this dinner. But you know, after this weekend it's over. Food takes a back seat in my life.

I guess that's it for now. I took a nap this afternoon, but I'm still tired so hopefully I'll go to sleep. One can hope. But it's been quite a day!

No comments: